Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Terrestrial Mind

4.24.10

"I've seen you watching me from afar" she said to him through the glass enclosure, the breathing apparatus strapped tightly to his face. He looked down at the floor as the beam of strange light came down through a hole high above in the dark ceiling. "You've seen nothing" he said quietly. "This place, it's dark, life in space is so lonely, no one can see inside my mind, it hurts to reach out". She looked at him confusingly, a scutter of quick steps in a distant hall echoed through the empty, austere building. "There's time..." she said, "time is all we have, you can change, you can get out of here, you can find somewhere to be loved". He knew this couldn't be true. The universe was so vast, cold, indifferent, life itself seemed to be. "I don't have anywhere to go, I don't know how to be accepted, I'm not sure if I want to be. All the planets are empty, I don't want to go back on that ship". His voice was a desperate with a certain air of misguided confidence in it. he ran his fingertips along the smooth glass, casting a shadow across the cold floor. There was someone, a long time ago, in my mind, who I was very close with, it's been so long, time hasn't erased this pain, time does nothing but destroy" he said with his face to the wall, a fist raised above his head, punching into the wall. "No, No, No!, this can't be what life is like, there must be more, somewhere, must be meaning, answers, depth, love, beauty, free..." He turned around and the woman was gone, somewhere out under the dusty sky of a strange and senseless world. Space was growing, life was senseless, love was elusive. It was beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment